Fibroids. You may have heard the term before, but do you truly understand what they are and how they can impact women’s health? In this article, we’re going to peel back the layers of mystery surrounding fibroids, shedding light on this common yet often misunderstood health issue.
What Are Fibroids?
Fibroids, also known as uterine fibroids or leiomyomas, are non-cancerous growths that develop in the uterus. They can vary in size from small, seed-like growths to large, grapefruit-sized masses. While they are typically benign, fibroids can cause a range of symptoms and health concerns.
Symptoms of Fibroids:
Fibroids often go unnoticed because they may not produce any symptoms. However, when symptoms do occur, they can include:
- Heavy Menstrual Bleeding: Excessive menstrual bleeding that can lead to anaemia.
- Pelvic Pain and Pressure: Discomfort or pain in the pelvis or lower back.
- Frequent Urination: Enlarged fibroids can press against the bladder, causing a frequent need to urinate.
- Pain During Intercourse: Fibroids can cause pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse.
- Backache or Leg Pains: In some cases, fibroids can press on nerves and cause back or leg pains.
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s essential to seek medical attention. A gynecologist can diagnose fibroids through a pelvic examination, ultrasound, or other imaging tests.
The good news is that fibroids are treatable, and various options are available. Treatment may include:
- Watchful Waiting: If fibroids are small and not causing symptoms, your doctor may recommend monitoring without immediate intervention.
- Medications: Hormonal medications can help control heavy bleeding and relieve pain.
- Minimally Invasive Procedures: Procedures like uterine artery embolization (UAE) or myomectomy can be performed to remove or shrink fibroids.
- Hysterectomy: In severe cases or when fertility is not a concern, a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) may be recommended.
Why Choose Etta Atlantic Memorial Hospital
At Etta Atlantic Memorial Hospital, we understand that each patient is unique. Our board-certified gynecologists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of fibroids, offering personalized care tailored to your specific needs and concerns. Our state-of-the-art facilities and cutting-edge technology ensure that you receive the highest standard of care.
Don’t let fibroids remain a mystery in your life. If you suspect you may have fibroids or are experiencing related symptoms, don’t hesitate to reach out to our dedicated gynecologists at Etta Atlantic Memorial Hospital. We’re here to provide you with the knowledge, support, and expert care you need to regain control of your health.
Remember, early detection and proactive management can make all the difference. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward a healthier, fibroid-free future. If you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach us on 08083734008 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your health is our priority, and together, we can battle fibroids.